September 16, 2009

My Girls

The saying “iron sharpens iron” never really spoke to me until recently. When you’re growing up you are surrounded by friends; you have friends you go to school with, friends that live on your street, friends at your church, and all the others you meet along the way. But as I approach adulthood (not sure what I consider an adult but I’m not there yet) I realize just how many real friends I don’t have.

Don’t get me wrong, I have tons of friends but those are more of acquaintances; the people we hang out with occasionally but they don’t really have much of a say in our day to day lives. The real friends I am referring to are the ones who we turn to when we need a shoulder to cry on after a broken heart, when we want to celebrate because we found a new job, when we just need someone to talk to; real friends are the ones we go through all of life’s ups and downs with and they still love us no matter what.

Finding the “real friends” is harder than we think and keeping those close friendships as the years pass is even more difficult. I can think of a few people who are standing the test of time with me and I cherish them more than they’ll ever really know. One has lived with me and still loves me, one I grow closer to on a daily bases, one relationship is growing and changing with time and maturity, one I met on a mission trip and we’ve stayed in touch ever since, and one I’m still trying to determine if the struggles of our friendship are worth the fight.

I’d never really reflected on the characteristics of my friends until
an article I was reading this morning. I love the classifications but I see them more as traits that each person I consider my “friend” possesses. Each one takes turns being my intercessor, celebrator, encourager, teacher, and questioner; and without them all I’d be fumbling around this messed up world. God is ultimately all we need but isn’t it a relief that He gives us others to help carry the burden of this life! To all my friends, I could not be more grateful for you, I love each of you more than you’ll ever realize!

No comments: